The editing process is vital for creating YouTube videos, Instagram reels, GIFs, microinteractions, or other moving-image products. It’s a stage where you must take the extra mile to produce high-quality videos.
However, visuals are not the only main elements of a video. Audio also plays an essential role in defining your video performance. Sometimes, you must remove audio from your video to replace it with background music or voice-over.
This article will help you remove audio from your video through step-by-step directions. As many may think it’s a tough job, we’ll make it easy for you. Keep scrolling to learn the seven easy ways to mute your video!
How to Remove Audio from Your Video
Removing audio from your video won’t be so complicated. You can use editing software like Windows Movie Maker or Adobe Premiere Pro to mute your video. You can still use online editing platforms for free if you don’t have editing software installed on your PC.
Below we’ve pieced together some ways to remove audio from your video using several tools. You can find the free options from the list. Moreover, you also have an exit to remove audio using your smartphone. Let’s get into the details now!
#1. Windows 10 / Windows Movie Maker
Windows Movie Maker was part of the professional suite bundle, so you may already have it installed on your computer. But you may not have the software as Windows has expelled it from the Windows Essentials Suite since 2010.
It’s worth installing as the software is user- and beginner-friendly. You can custom audio, add 3D effects, include animated text, and many more. Here are the steps to delete audio from your video.
- Open the Windows Movie Maker.
- Import the video file you want to mute.
- Go to the Edit tab, then click the Video Volume option.
- Find the Mute icon and click on it.
You can also drag the slider to customize the audio as you wish. If you plan to mute a specific part of your video, below are the steps you need to take.
- Split the video into parts.
- Choose the part you want to mute.
- Head to the ‘Edit’ tab and click the ‘Video Volume’ button.
- Click the mute icon.
- Save your by heading to the File tab and selecting Save Movie.
- Choose Recommended for this project option to save your video as MP4 without sound.
If you don’t have Windows Movie Maker on your laptop, you can still remove audio from your video using Windows’ Photos app. Here are the steps to mute video files using Photos App.
- Run the Photos App on your Windows 10.
- Head to the video editor tab and select New Project.
- Rename your project and import the video you want to mute.
- Select ‘Place it on your storyboard.’
- Double-click on the volume icon and click the mute icon.
- Export your video, and you are all set!
#2. Adobe Premiere Pro
For those with more profound knowledge of video editing, Adobe Premiere Pro is a tool. With a steeper learning curve, Adobe Premiere Pro can generate high-quality videos. The tool is best for professional editors and moviemakers.
However, removing audio using Adobe Premiere Pro is relatively simple. You won’t spend much effort and a long time finishing the job. We’ve compiled the steps to remove your audio from video using Adobe Premiere Pro below.
- Run the Adobe Premiere Pro software.
- Load the video you want to mute.
- Right-click on the video timeline and select ‘Unlink to detach audio from the video.
- Select the audio clip and press the ‘del’ keyboard to remove it.
- Save your changes and export your video.
Who doesn’t love Canva? It’s not only famous for editing photos but also videos. Canva is a free editing platform that is simple to use, even for the non-tech savvy. It’s best for those who want simple editing like trimming, muting, and adding soundtracks to a video.
As one of the most popular online editing tools, Canva also provides free stock music, animations, stickers, templates, and other elements for your photos and videos. You can have more features by subscribing to its paid plans. Below are the steps to removing audio from your video.
- Import your video on Canva.
- Drag and drop your video to the storyboard below the white canvas.
- On the top right corner, click the volume button.
- Click on the mute icon or drag the pointer toward it.
- You can set the volume to 0 or customize it as you wish.
- Rename and download your video.
Many know VLC as a video player where you can binge-watch movies or other video products. But little did we know that VLC has basic features that you can use for simple video editing.
It allows you to trim, cut, crop, merge, and add other elements to a video. Moreover, you can remove audio from a video through simple steps.
- Open the VLC media player.
- Select the ‘Media’ tab and choose the ‘Convert/Save’ option.
- Choose the video you want to mute and add it to the player.
- Click on the ‘Convert/Save’ button.
- You’ll see more options on the ‘Convert’ screen.
- Click on the setting icon (wrench) beside the ‘Profile’ column.
- Choose ‘Audio Codec’ from the menu.
- Uncheck the ‘Audio’ box to remove audio from your video.
- Rename your file and choose where you want to store your file.
- Save your work, and voila! You complete the job.
iMovie can come in handy for iPad, Mac, and iPhone users to edit videos. It’s beginner-friendly and compatible with many video formats. You can do basic editing such as cutting, trimming, rotating, and adding other elements.
You can also delete audio from a video using iMovie. The steps are simple. Follow the steps below to mute your video file.
- Run the iMovie app.
- Press the ‘+’ icon to start a new project.
- Press the ‘Media’ tab to upload your video.
- Click your video timeline.
- Click the volume icon and decrease the volume to 0.
- You can adjust the volume and add other audio as you wish.
- Rename your project, then save it.
iPhone users can edit videos through the Photo app, including deleting audio from a video. It’s simple and quick, which you can do within minutes. However, there’s a thing you should keep in mind when using the Photo app on an iPhone.
You’ll see the yellow volume icon that you can turn into gray or black. Gray means you delete the audio, while black means the opposite. Below are the ways to mute your video with the Photo app on your iPhone.
- Open the Photo app on your iPhone.
- Select the video.
- Press the ‘Edit’ button on the top right corner.
- Click the yellow volume icon on the top left corner.
- Turn the volume icon into gray.
- Save the changes, and your job is complete!
You can edit your video through your handy-dandy smartphone if you’re too lazy to open your laptop or turn on your PC. The only app you need is Google Photos. The app is enough if you want to remove audio from your video. Here are the steps.
- Open Google Photos.
- Find the video you want to mute.
- Click Edit.
- Click the volume icon on the bottom left of your screen.
- Disable the volume.
- Save the changes you made, and you’re done!
If you need further editing, consider using a third-party video editing app. You can find plenty of video editing tools on the Play Store, most of which are free to use. Some best recommendations include Magisto, Filmora, and Adobe Premiere Rush.
There are many more ways to remove audio from a video. The above list is some of the easiest steps that you can try. Whether using in-built apps or online editing platforms, muting your video is a piece of cake.
We recommend editing software like Adobe Premiere Pro, Windows Movie Maker, and iMovie to produce high-quality videos. However, if you want a quick and handy option, Canva, VLC, and built-in smartphone apps are not bad at all.