Being creative and setting up your own house can be a therapeutic task. Channeling your inner artist and being able to see a paint job through and complete your vision is a fulfilling idea in itself. Colours often hold a very special place in people’s hearts. This is one of the main reasons why we often have our favorite colours set from childhood. Many times, we envision our dream houses and dream rooms to be set in the same shades as our choicest ones.
Home improvement or redoing projects require vision and planning. And that does not come without effort. However, since not everyone is an expert on house painting projects, there are a few rules that are not to be broken while dealing with paint projects. From a room colour combination to using the right raw materials, here are some tips that you can keep in mind before engaging in a project like this.
- Don’t compromise on the materials – The most important thing would be to not compromise on the materials that you are choosing to do up your house with. Surely top quality materials will cost you more than the so-called ‘doable’ ones however, they will ensure that the painting project that you have undertaken would last for a long time.
- Prep for the paint job – To get a long-lasting and durable painting finish, the surface area of the walls would need to be prepped sufficiently. Using different raw materials like sandpaper, cleaning cloth, etc, you can ensure that the walls are clean enough for the paint to stick to them well without chipping.
- Apply sufficient coats – Just a single coat of paint might not yield satisfactory results. For example, if you are using a purple two colour combination for bedroom walls, use more than one coat of paint to get the exact shade of purple that you were hoping to achieve. Make sure that you are repeating the strokes on the wall for a smooth texture.
- Test the paint first – The shade of the paint would look completely different when seen on the shade card or the colour wheel. To check the exact colour, you need to apply the paints to a particular part of the wall to see how it looks in different lights.
- Use a primer – Skipping on the primer is the first and most common mistake that people might make while painting their homes. The primer is responsible for a smooth finish and it creates a good base on the wall for the paint to adhere well to. For a neat-looking paint job, using a primer is a must.
- Set a realistic timeline – It is natural to be in a rush to finish the painting job. This could be due to the genuine lack of time or just the hurry to look at a great and new environment. However, it is important to set a realistic timeline while beginning your paint project and plan for unexpected obstacles. At times, there might be certain aspects that you may not have accounted for that may lead to an extension of the project.
- Use labor if needed – The urge to finish a paint project by oneself and the desire to complete it can drive many people and lead to fruitful results. However, in case you feel like you do not have sufficient time or expertise to do so, do not hesitate to hire help. Professional services can do the job in a much lesser time and can also save certain costs. Additionally, they can foresee things that maybe novices cannot, which will also lead to better results.
While it is important to enjoy the process of painting your home and the joy of living in a newly decorated environment is unparalleled, this process often leaves room for several kinds of mistakes and errors. To avoid such issues, make sure to avoid certain mistakes that, as rookies, we may often end up making. Consider the help from experts as they know what they are doing. However, you can always keep one DIY wall for yourself, if not the whole house or room!