Whether it is a small mistake in your art project, an overspray, graffiti, removal of spray paint from glass is easy. Only, you have to possess proper knowledge of the process related to painting removal. Here, we have discussed a few easy methods and products how to remove spray paint from glass at home.
Preliminary Steps to Start for the Removal of Spray Paint from Glass
Before you start searching for the answer for how to remove spray paint from glass, you have to prepare for your project. These include-
- You have to determine the type of glass and collect the essential cleaning equipment.
- Make sure to use the necessary safety equipment, like an eye protector and rubber gloves to deal with strong solvents.
- Check the ventilation system of the area before starting with the removal of spray paint. It will prevent you from inhaling any harmful fumes.
- Consider running various circulation fans and opening windows at the time of performing the paint removal process.
- Protect the floors of your home by laying a plastic cloth in your working area.
Removal of Spray Paint from Glass with Acetone
Acetone is an ideal chemical to remove paint from frosted glass and mirrors and the right answer to how to remove spray paint from glass. You may even upgrade or old glass doors or mirrors by spray painting the frame. However, if you have a bit of paint overspray, you may use acetone to remove it. Luckily, you get a wide range of products in the market, which contains acetone. These are paint thinner, nail polish remover, lacquer thinner, and many more.
Method to Use
- You have to soak any clean rag in the acetone solution.
- Apply the same rag on the dried paint for a while.
- After acetone starts to lose its stain, you have to scrub it by using the same rag.
- If you find an excess in acetone solution, you may use a cleaning rag made of microfiber dipped in warm water to wipe it away.
- Use glass cleaner or warm soap solution to clean the glass mirror
- Finally, use a towel or a rag to wipe out the cleaned glass.
Note-You should strictly avoid applying acetone on fiberglass. The reason is that acetone may dissolve the protective outer layer of the fiberglass and damage it adversely.
White Vinegar to Remove Glass Spray Paint
If you do not want to use any harmful chemical, you may try to remove the glass spray paint by applying white vinegar. An interesting aspect is that you can use vinegar on metals as well.
How Vinegar Works on Glass
The acetic acid present in vinegar dissolves paint stains effectively and a strong smell of vinegar dissipates in only a few minutes. You may use this mixture as one of the natural paintbrush cleaners. Moreover, vinegar is a safe product to apply to fiberglass.
Method to Use
- You have to fill the vinegar in Pyrex or any other similar type of microwave-friendly measurement cup.
- Boil the vinegar contained in the microwave. You should make sure to use oven mitts or gloves to prevent burning yourself. Simultaneously, you have to take care while removing the vinegar contained in the microwave.
- You have to soak a rag inside the hot vinegar and press it against a few spots of paints for some time. This will help in loosening any hard paint.
- Next, you have to scrub the rag soaked in vinegar vigorously for the removal of the paint.
- You have to pour your dish soap into a bucket containing warm water.
- Wash the fiberglass or mirror properly by using a new microfiber-designed cleaning rag dipped in a combination of soap and warm water.
- Alternatively, you can spray the solution by using a glass cleaner.
- Lastly, you have to wipe the cleaned glass with a paper towel or dry rag.
Removal of Spray Paint from Glass by Using Rubbing and Denatured Alcohol
Individuals may use rubbing alcohol for clearing off spray paint from the glass and use it as a homemade and free from streak glass cleaner. Even though using 70 percent of rubbing alcohol in concentrated form is enough to get good results, we recommend you use 90 percent to get the best results.
Method to Use
- To start, soak a microfiber-based cleaning rag inside rubbing alcohol and apply it to your glass surface many times to loosen the hard paint.
- After this, you have to scrub the surface vigorously by using a rag soaked with alcohol. In this way, you will remove the paint stains or overcome the sticker residue from the glass.
On the other side, denatured alcohol performs its functions similar to a paint stripper. Denatured alcohol comes with a relatively high potency as compared to the rubbing one. Hence, you have to work with caution while handling it.
Method to Use
- Put denatured alcohol in small amounts on any dry rag and test it on your property’s inconspicuous area. The step will check whether the alcohol is prone to damage your glass surface or not.
- Scrub the stains of paint by using a damp rag and remove them.
- Once you remove the paint by using alcohol, you have to apply a warm soapy solution on the glass or simply use a glass cleaner.
- To complete the process, wipe the cleaned glass by using a paper towel or any dry cloth.
Note:-Rubbing or denatured alcohol works well to remove spray paint from any plastic surface.
Use of Pressure Washer to Remove Glass Spray Paint
If you are still finding the answer to how to remove spray paint from glass, we recommend you use pressure washers. Homeowners may clean the glass spray paint efficiently and safely by using a pressure washer. A pressure washer may help in removing the spray paint from concrete driveways and garage floors. However, you have to maintain a low water pressure to avoid causing damage to the window frame glass.
One of the best ways to use a pressure washer is to test the pressure of the water before spraying it to any type of glass. Furthermore, you have to adjust the pressure by using the spray nozzle safely by keeping it at a certain distance from the glass window.
Along with this, you must use a wide-angle type of fan spray attachment. Accordingly, you have to spray the water at about 40 degrees to 45 degrees angle to the window glass. Later, one should move the hose forth and back to scrub any painted glass by using the water blast.
Overall, you will get plenty of solvents to remove spray paint from the window glass easily and efficiently.